What you need to know to reduce your risk
Did you know?
Colorectal cancer is treatable if diagnosed early. According to Raj Mariwalla, MD, a member of the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy who practices at Island Gastroenterology Consultants, P.C. in West Islip, NY, “Colorectal cancer is largely preventable. However, prevention is dependent on screening tests to detect warning signs which largely present no symptoms. Untreated polyps, precancerous lesions and other abnormal growths need not frighten patients, when detected by screening tests and treated promptly.“
THE NUMBERS TELL THE STORY:
Dr. Mariwalla cites these statistics from the Colorectal Cancer Alliance in Washington, DC:
- Since the mid-1980s, the colorectal cancer survival rate has been increasing, due in part to increased awareness and EARLY screening:
- The five-year survival rate for colorectal cancer found at the local stage is 90%
- The five-year survival rate for colorectal cancer found at the regional stage is 71%
- The five-year survival rate for colorectal cancer found at the distant stage is 14%
- There are currently more than one million colorectal cancer survivors alive in the United States
- People with a first-degree relative (parent, sibling, or children) who has colorectal cancer are between two and three times the risk of developing the cancer than those without a family history
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO REDUCE YOUR RISK:
- Screening is key! If you are not high risk, screening should begin at age 45.
- If you have a family history, get screened at age 40 or ten years before the age of the youngest case in your immediate family
- Maintain a healthy weight and be physically active
- Limit red and processed meats
- Drink in moderation
- Stop smoking!
ABOUT Island Gastroenterology Consultants, P.C.:
Island Gastroenterology Consultants, PC is dedicated to the evaluation and treatment of diseases of the digestive system. Our board-certified gastroenterologists and staff provide exceptional care to promote good health, disease prevention and patient advocacy. Our goal is to create a comfortable and pleasant environment for our patients.
Visit Island Gastroenterology Consultants, PC at https://www.islandgastro.com/ or call us at 631.669.1171. Same day appointments are available; our staff is bilingual; and most major insurance plans are accepted.